Thursday, November 30, 2006

Just in Time for the Cold Weather

Hey Everyone!
My turn. Barb suggested I jot down my base recipe for soup. With this you can make great simple soups, or use this to build something more grand and complex. Here goes:

Soup Base
Ingredients

2 T Butter or Vegetable Oil
1 med Onion, roughtly chopped
2 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
1 lb Featured Vegetable(s), roughly chopped
32 oz Water
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Method

Heat a medium pot over low heat and add the butter, onion and garlic. Cook slowly until soft. Add the featured vegetable(s) and cover with the water. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the pot to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Variations

These are limitless. You can add a couple of cut-up slices of bacon to the onions as they soften (to impart a smokey flavour). You can extend the amount of soup you are making by adding a grated potato or a handful of rice when you add the water. You can use chicken or beef stock instead of water, or you can suppliment the liquid with some whipping cream. You can add some fresh or (if it's all you have) dried herbs towards the end of cooking. You can puree the soup and pass it through a strainer for a smoother texture. You can swirl or blend in a couple more tablespoons of butter for added richness. I like to add a pinch of cayenne pepper when I am seasoning with salt and pepper - just a tiny bit to pull the flavours to the back of your mouth.
Play around and try new things. Hit the 'Comments' button below and tell us your favourite.

Cheers!
Alan

1 comment:

Jane said...

Yay it's a blog! How exciting. I guess I'm not really a customer, just a fan of your bread since you haven't started anything in Ottawa. I was just thinking I should make some soup... excellent tips. Could you at some time in the future write about very tasty things that are ready very quickly? I don't seem to have enough time in the day and feel bad turning to poptarts every time I get hungry when in a rush. Thanks!