Thursday, November 29, 2007

Nabeela's Curried Cabbage

One of the great joys of writing a food blog is that cruising the internet, finding and trying new recipes, counts as "research". Crazy good.

One that caught my eye last week was this recipe from Nabeela at Trial and Error for Cabbage Stir Fry/Curry.
We had a few cabbages left from our CSA basket. I adore curry, so away we went. It's a simple recipe, with easy-to-access ingredients. I didn't actually have any curry leaves, so I made it without and it was still delicious.

And I must say, I almost never make a recipe with all of the listed ingredients. It just doesn't happen in this house. But unless it's really key (in which case, I'll just wait), I either substitute something close or leave it out. And I haven't had any complaints so far....

I liked this recipe so much, that I made it again for Wednesday Night Dinner with Fiona. She liked it so much that she asked for the recipe.

Having said what I did about the substitutions/dropped ingredients, I do recommend not leaving out the coconut on this one. It adds a mellowness to the flavour that it would be a real shame to miss. The second time 'round, I used coconut milk. It was lovely.

Don't have cabbage? Try it with cauliflower, brussel sprouts or leftover boiled potatoes.

Oh, and it's even good the next day, cold for lunch, which you usually have with your husband, but he can't be here so....

Anyone else looking forward to having a bit of a holiday next month?



No comments: