Because Mondays are hard and sometimes, you just need a little something special to make the day better.
To start off the series, I give you my mother's recipe for date squares. They're sticky, rich and yummy. One of these with a cup of tea and whatever's gone wrong with the day just fades away.
These are really sweet. Next time I make them, I'll try them without the extra sugar in the filling. Oooh! And maybe some lemon zest....
2 Cups chopped dates
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Cup water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 Cups rolled oats
1 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup butter
- Combine ingredients for filling. Simmer until thick, being careful that mixture does not burn. Let cool.
- Measure flour into mixing bowl. Add baking soda and stir to blend. Stir in oats and brown sugar. Work in butter with finger tips.
- Pat half this mixture into a 9" lightly greased square pan. Spread with date filling. Sprinkle and pat remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake at 375 F for 1/2 hour or until golden.
- Cut in squares when cool.
I couldn't wait. Cut into it too soon!