Monday, May 12, 2008

Comfort Food Mondays - Asparagus

Asparagus season has begun here in Southern Ontario and I couldn't be happier!

We have a pretty definite routine with the asparagus in this house.  The first bunches are brought home with great fanfare.  Heck, this year, I even took pictures!

It's Begun!

At the start of the season, we eat them steamed, with very little to dress them up.

As the season progresses, we move to dressing them in a light vinaigrette, to go on salad.  Then there's asparagus soup.  Asparagus ends chopped up and tossed with pasta.

One night, while Alan's at work, I will steam a few spears to serve with a soft-boiled egg, a la Nigella Lawson.  The mere thought of this dish makes Alan shudder, so I will enjoy it on my own.

I always know that asparagus season is winding down when I develop a craving for it with peanut sauce.  So good!  I'll share that recipe at a later date.

And, eventually comes the day that Alan unwraps a bunch and says, "This is the last of the asparagus."

And you know, by that point? I'm ready to give it up for another year.  It's a season that's just about perfect.

Lightly Steamed and Perfect

 

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Yes. I had some for dinner last night myself.

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

It's a wonderful time of year, isn't it?

Janet said...

Barb,

That plate looks yummy. Asparagus is almost gone here and I am rapidly tiring of it after having it several times a week for the last couple of months. Time to move on!

Janet

Barb McMahon and Alan Mailloux said...

Bring on tomato season!!!!