Monday, May 26, 2008

News Part 2

The job at the dairy ended on Friday.  I was deemed too tall for it.

But my loss is your gain.  Because I get to share with you what I've learned about cheesemaking!  And it's exciting stuff!

The origins of the process are lost in the mists of time, but it appears to have been invented by a band of Lilliputians with an excess of milk to use up.

Seriously.  Every table in the place was located down around my knees.  Or lower.  It's intense, back-breaking work.

But the end result?  Oh, the end result is so worth it.

I was told that the first thing I needed to know about cheesemaking was that it's about 90% cleaning.  I'd bump it up to 95%, but then I scrubbed and disinfected more dishes last week than I ever have in my life, including my years in the B&B.

And when you're done with the dishes?  Well, you scrub and disinfect the sink they were washed in.  And then the floor underneath it.  And then yourself.

I don't have any pictures to share with you of my week's adventures, I'm afraid.  Everything that goes into the dairy must be disinfected and I don't think my little Sony Cybershot would have survived the treatment.

So I'll just have to be vivid in my descriptions!

Tomorrow - putting the first batch into the molds.

No comments: