Monday, September 8, 2008

Comfort Food Mondays - A Plethora of Tomatoes

In our CSA basket last week was a very big bag of fresh tomatoes.  Plus our next door neighbour left a basket of them on our doorstep and we had a few from the market....

It was time to make sauce, something unthinkable when the first few ripe round beauties come off the vine.  But even I cannot keep up with all this fresh, tasty goodness.  Matt calls this "Mother Nature's Two-for-One Sale"; I love that image!

Tomato sauce has to be one of the easiest things on earth to cook.  I started with a good glug of olive oil in a pan.  Then I added half a head of garlic, minced.  I heated that until it was golden and fragrant. 

Then I started chopping tomatoes.  These were fairly small, so I just quartered them and added them to the garlic and oil. 

And then I let it all simmer gently, all afternoon, until it was thick and rich and hearty.  Alan walked in the door after work and his knees went weak.

Before serving over pasta, you can add: a swirl of butter, salt and pepper to taste, chopped fresh herbs of your choice.

So yummy!

We ate dinner before I even remembered to take a picture. 

Fortunately, there were leftovers....

DSC06857

No comments: