Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Staycation - a Trip to the Library

I have a very good friend who, whenever a place in the world that she hasn't been yet is mentioned (and that list is getting shorter), says with a big smile, "Oh! I want to go there!"

I share her enthusiasm. Realistically, I know I'm not going to get to every place on my list. And with the environment tanking ever more each day, it's looking like we'll all have to curtail our travels.

So how do we get to experience other cultures?

One of the best ways I know is through food. Of course, I tend to believe that one of the best ways to experience just about anything is through food, but still...

Most public libraries have a sizeable selection of cookbooks and with a little hunting around, you can find yourself some great introductions to the food of other cultures. The really good ones will tell you exactly what spices to use and how to find them locally.

Some will have you rolling up your sleeves and cooking up a storm. Others will have you looking for a good local restaurant.

Either way, it's a great way to satisfy that mid-winter "anywhere but here" feeling.

Egg Curry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... the food here looks yummy.