Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cafe Charlot

When we arrived in Paris, tired, jet-lagged and in need of sustenance, we asked Sylvie, the lovely woman who let us into our apartment, to recommend somewhere close by.

"Cafe Charlot," she said, without hesitation.

We followed her directions and found ourselves in a bright and busy cafe.

The menu is not extensive and leans more toward American diner food than traditional French fare.  Well, I can understand the appeal.  I mean, when I'm in France, I want to eat all the andouillette, confit, and entrecote I can get my hands on.  But if I lived there?  The occasional cheeseburger or club sandwich would be a treat and they do them very well at Cafe Charlot.

The service was really good - not always the case in such a trendy place (did I mention it was trendy?  VERY).  Our waiter was very kind about our bad French (or total lack of it in certain cases), and sharing orders was not a problem.

Housed in a former bakery, it's a wonderful place to go for a meal, a drink or a spot of people-watching (trendy, trendy people).

We liked it so much that we made it the spot for our last meal in Paris, too.

Trendy good fun

Café Charlot
38 rue de Bretagne
75003 Paris

No comments: