Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Food Fight!

From Paulio Geordio's Flickrstream

I think this has to be the anti-comfort food.

I found myself in Stratford early yesterday morning, on my own with some time on my hands.  So I popped into my favourite breakfast eatery and ordered myself some tea and toast.

And it was lovely.  Me, a book and a table in the corner.  I was happily wallowing in the luxury of it all when a couple walked in and sat down.  And started a discussion that very quickly devolved into a fight. 

I tried really hard not to eavesdrop.  I really didn't want to hear any of it.  But when you're the only other customer in the place...

I could tell they were covering a very old, well-worn path of the "you don't respect me",  "you're trying to rule my life" variety.  And aside from wanting to smack them both for intruding on my peaceful breakfast, I thought, "How sad."

I mean, I know it's "just breakfast", but I've seen this kind of thing happen in the most expensive dining rooms, in lovely country inns, in our former B&B.  Couples sit down and either can't think of a thing to say to each other and so consume a gorgeous meal in stunning, doom-laden silence, or they decide to settle once and for all who's right.

Arguments happen.  And sometimes you find yourself in the middle of one without really knowing how you got there. I know it's happened to me more than once. 

But people!  A meal out is a special occasion.  It's supposed to be fun!  Treat it like a date.  Like time out with friends.  Like maybe you can actually enjoy yourself for once.

Cuz, even if I'm too nice to smack you, I'll blog about you.  Count on it.

No comments: